Kids! Let's Talk About Robots
What is Robotics?
- Robotics is the branch of science focused on learning about and creating robots or machines that can do work.
- Engineers, mathematicians and computer scientists work together to build robotsthat move, have power and sensors, and complete tasks.
Who Creates Robots?
- Engineers, computer scientists and mathematicians create robots.
- These experts often work together to design, build, program and create robots as well as the electrical or solar power sources that allow robots to move and function.
Why is Robotics Important?
- Robots can do important work that keeps us healthy and makes jobs easier.
- Doctors in the healthcare field use robotics to help perform surgeries that save lives.
- The automobile industry uses robots to build cars step by step.
- Robotics also plays an important role in exploring space and the sea.
- Some areas of outer space are too dangerous for astronauts to explore on their own. As a result, robots were created to explore other planets and take pictures and videos to help us to learn more.
- Robots can also explore very deep parts of the ocean and provide us with important information.
How Can Kids Explore Robotics?
- You already have robots in your home!
- Your washing machine is a robot that does a simple task--cleaning clothes--that would take humans much longer to do.
- When young children design, draw and build pretend robots or play with robot-inspired toys they are imagining the robots of the future!
- Continue learning your math and science so you will be ready for science projects like building your own real, functioning robot.
Click here to go to the Robot-inspired activities now!